Maramaris is in the province of Mugla in the south-west of Turkey, opposite the Greek island of Rhodes. Since its opening in the early 1980s, the marina quickly became one of the most popular in the Eastern Mediterranean, harbouring many beautiful yachts, in a delightful setting of mountains lined with fragrant pine woods, overlooking a magnificently blue sea.
Netsel Marina is just to the East of the old town of Marmaris. Its walls and its location make it a particularly well sheltered port, one of the most reliable shelters in the area even in drastic weather conditions. There are 700 berths, and the marina can welcome an additional 130 boats in its dry storage areas. Netsel Marina has evolved and has also greatly benefited from being taken over by a consortium which includes the Setur Marina group, since 2006.
The antique Physcos, in one of the “far reaches” of the Mediterranean and the Aegean Sea, was formerly an important centre for Mediterranean trade. In 334 BC the city became Greek after the conquest of Anatolia by Alexander the Great. On his death, it became part of the territory of the Seleucid Dynasty before becoming Roman and Byzantine, like the rest of Anatolia. In the 13th century, Physcos was taken over by the Menteşeoğullari (of which Milas was the capital city), before being conquered by the Ottoman sultan Suleiman the Magnificent during his campaign against Rhodes. He gave this location the name of Marmaris. From 1919 to 1921 the town was governed by Italy before becoming a famous sponge fishing village under the Turkish Republic.
Unfortunately, little is left of the town’s great historical past. Most of it was destroyed in an earthquake in 1958. The marina has become an integral part of the scenery, only a few minutes’ walk from the historical city, by the tall Ottoman fort built by Suleiman the Magnificent in 1522, on the same foundations as Alexander the Great’s own fortifications. The architecture of this district pleasantly reminds you of old Greece with its typical white houses.
Cedar Island is located 18 kilometres to the North of Marmaris. It is also known as Cleopatra’s Island. During a stay on the island, according to legend, Cleopatra’s lover, Mark Anthony, had sand shipped all the way from Egypt to make this beach. In fact the particular sand that is found there (oolitic sand) is due to the presence of local springs, the water of which is particularly rich in calcium carbonate.
Dalyan is 80 kilometres to the East of Marmaris. Iztuzu Beach is one of Turkey’s most beautiful beaches. It is a protected site for the nesting of loggerhead turtles (Caretta caretta). Since Antiquity, the village has been famous for its mud baths.